The Charles Soil Conservation District was organized on March 4, 1941, under provisions of the Maryland Soil Conservation Districts Law as a political subdivision of the State. The District provides local landowners and land users with technical assistance to protect and conserve valuable soil and water resources. District activities are directed by a five-member board of supervisors and coordinated by the State Soil Conservation Committee and the Maryland Department of Agriculture with technical assistance provided by the Natural Resources Conservation Service (NRCS). Local, State and Federal resources are combined to support District programs which are available to all without discrimination.
Soil Conservation began as a response to the Dust Bowl in the 1930s. The first recognized Soil Conservation District was created by Hugh Hammond Bennett, the father of soil conservation, and was known as Brown Creek Soil Conservation District. It began on August 4, 1937, covering parts of Anson and Union counties in North Carolina. Today there are nearly 3,000 districts in all 50 states, the District of Columbia, and the U.S. territories of American Samoa, the Federated States of Micronesia, Guam, Northern Mariana Islands, Palau, Puerto Rico, and the Virgin Islands (source).
More on the history of the Soil Conservation Service. (nrcs.usda.gov)
More on Conservation District laws and variations. (nrcs.usda.gov)